Sunday, August 12, 2018

Daily Photos - Day 12


How's that for an alien creature?
Today I have 5 photos. I went to the Paul Smiths VIC in hope of finding some Sundew. I was photographing a cluster that I found when a young lady asked what I was doing. I told her I was photographing Sundew and started to explain what it was when she said: "I know, I'm here with a botany class from SLU." Then she asked if I knew what a tiny white flower a little farther along was and I admitted I didn't know. I hadn't seen one like it before. Just then the professor came along and said it was a Sundew flower. The clusters of carnivorous paddles are common he said but the flowers, on central stalks like the flowers on Pitcher Plants, are rare. So I learned something today and spent 45 minutes or so trying to get a photo that showed the entire plant in one photo. It proved difficult. I succeeded but not as well as I hoped. I may have to make another attempt.

The whole Sundew cluster:


A Sundew flower opening.


Another Sundew blossom looking down with the cluster below. The bloom is only about 1" from the lens and the stalk is 6-8" tall so the cluster below is very out of focus due to the shallow depth of field when working that close.


My solution was to photograph it from the side. I found a plant with shorter stems (about 4") so that it all fit in the frame and I could still get fairly close to the cluster at the bottom. I wish te background was not so cluttered or was more out of focus. I may try again.


No comments:

Post a Comment