Thursday, August 30, 2018

Daily Photo - Day 30


I set out to post a photo each day for at least 30 days and today I have done it. I also intended initially that the photo I posted would be from that day. I missed on that part of the plan once. I will try to continue to post more frequently than in the past although it might not be daily. Whatever else happens, I have a selection of "out-takes" from the 30 days that I could throw at you from time to time in among whatever new images I create.

Today I took a shorter, more civilized hike than my usual jaunts. I went back to the civilized trail in Potsdam that runs along the Racquette River from behind Stewarts to the cemetery and noted a difference in the culture. As I walked along I greeted those I met like I usually do. The women I met, whether alone or in groups, mostly did not respond or if they did, looked away and gave a nearly inaudible reply. If it was a mixed group, one or more of the men responded and asked "How are you doing?". Young male college students tended to grunt a response. I simply waved at runners since they had their phones plugged into their ears and wouldn't hear anything I said anyway. They smiled and waved back.

This differs from hiking deep in the Adirondacks where most people are inclined to stop and have brief conversations about the weather, their hike, the condition of the trail, and occasionally rather long conversations. It just struck me as being interesting that the farther I am from civilization, the more social the interactions with others I encounter are likely to be.

Today's photo was taken from one of the overlooks that are cantilevered out from the river bank, waterlilies growing in the shallow water of a bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment