Friday, June 01, 2007

Memorial to Ace

Big D's Ace of Hearts, May 12, 2000 to June 1, 2007

Ace died this morning. He was only 7 years old. He was my best buddy. I called him "my supervisor" because he followed me everywhere, from room to room and I couldn't go outside without him. He watched everything I did. He loved to play ball with me kicking the ball to him, he'd catch it and toss it back with a flip of his head. When I watered the garden he insisted on drinking from the hose. He seemed to think the hose was his personal drinking fountain. He drank from the hose just yesterday as I was watering. I'll never again water the garden without thinking of Ace.

Two weeks ago he stopped eating. I took him to the vet after a few days and the vet thought he was suffering from allergies to pollen. He gave him an anti-histamine shot which did seem to perk him up to eat a little the following day but then he stopped eating again and he was vomiting up the grass he chewed on and what little he did eat. I tried anti-histamine tablets but they didn't seem to work so I took him back to the vet. Now he had a fever so the vet gave him antibiotics. After a few days of no change I called the vet yesterday who gave me anti-vomiting meds for him. This morning at 3AM and at 4AM he was vomiting phlegm. I tried calling the vet but there is no ER for animals. I had to wait until office hours. We got up at 6AM and he couldn't stand so I picked him up and carried him to the truck. We headed for the vets intending to arouse him at home but there was no one home. I tried another vet several miles down the road but it was too late. Ace died as I held him on the back seat of the truck in the second vet's parking area.

Ace was the best. A true and loyal friend. I'll miss you buddy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Ace was one of the sweetest creatures God ever made. He will be missed terribly by everyone who knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Jim. Heart-breaking. I'm so sorry. ~~ eArThworm

    ReplyDelete