Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Infrared on the 'in town' Rail Trail - Saranac Lake

 



I wanted to get one last cone at Donnelly's before they closed for the year and decided as long as I was going there I would walk the section of the rail trail between the Rt. 86 parking area on the south side of town and the RR station. You see the world differently at 2 mph than 10-15 mph. For one thing, I noted that there was an unimproved footpath that paralleled the paved rail trail, a remnant of when the train was running, and still used by some for walking dogs (pavement gets too hot for paws) or just for shade.

I had my infrared-converted camera with me and although I took photos with my regular camera which I posted on FaceBook, I ended up shooting mostly IR. The photo below is a 2 frame, stitched image. I liked the light coming through the woods an highlighting the lilypads. 


This is another stitched image that is a 'fail'. I include it as a reminder to those of us who like doing stitched panoramas to pay attention to changes in the light between frames. The passing cloud shadows were more than the stitching software could even out,

On one of my prior trips, another trail user commented that this is the "most serene" cemetery they had ever seen. It is a nice one.

Another stitched photo below, 2 frames one above the other. The surprisingly non-smelly porta-potties just out of the photo on the right and background clutter on the left made the composition a bit difficult but this image is my favorite from the outing.

I liked the reflections on the glass, the curtains, and the window beyond.


For this one, I pressed the lens against the glass which limited the composition options but it still worked out nicely IMO.

I tried the same with another window that had curtains with swirly embroidery but this window had a storm sash on it. The gap between the storm sash and the inner glass resulted in a reflection of my shadow and the trees behind me. Mysterious!



This A-frame wooden bridge fascinates me. On some future outing, I have to explore it further.

I saw two deer on that outing, one on the college campus and the other on a lawn near one of the street crossings. On my ride back from Floodwood (prior post) I saw a pine martin run across the trail. 

Enjoy and share by sharing the link to this page. The photos are copyrighted.


No comments:

Post a Comment