Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Riding the New Section of Rail Trail from Saranac Lake to Floodwood Road.


 On Sunday, August 25, I rode the new section of the Rail Trail from the Saranac Lake RR Station to FLoodwoood Rd. It was not officially open until the following day but lots of walkers and bikers were already using it, especially the SL end. There were far fewer on the Floodwood end. I like this section better than the SL to LP section (see my prior post) partly because there were fewer people but mainly because it is so much wilder and more scenic. My bike's odometer measured the distance from the RR Station to Floodwood at 16.3 miles making this a 32.6 mile round trip. I spent over 2½ hours doing the round trip but I stopped a lot for photos.

The causeway across Lake Colby. There are rest spots 'bumped out' along the sides for sitting, fishing or whatever.








This entire section has a hard-packed fine crushed stone surface.










There are numerous pull-offs where you can rest without blocking the trail or even have a picnic.










1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:59 PM

    So many views. Thanks for these. Must get out and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete