Sunday, May 19, 2024

Kip Trail Infrared

 The Kip Trail is a nature trail near Canton, NY That runs between CR27 and the Pike Rd.  You can find directions on the web or on the All Trails app.  I have hiked it before, last fall, and wanted to see what it was like in spring. I decided to take my IR G-11 that I described in the previous post. The trail was muddy and buggy. I used 'Adirondack Herbal Repellant' which is a salve in a tin that is nice for carrying because it doesn't spill like liquid. I got it from ADKfragrancefarm.com.* I should have worn waterproof boots. I didn't go all the way through to CR27 from Pike Rd. where I started.  I turned around at a mud hole that was too big and deep for my footwear.  I did shoot a batch of IR photos though.


I tried photographing wildflowers but all the green and the flowers registered as white in IR so the only ones that 'worked' were like the above where the background was dead leaves and wood.


The trail passes by a horseshoe bend in the Little River. This is a 6 vertical frame panorama of the bend.


The other cool feature along the trail is a series of vernal pools that are dried up later in the summer and fall. They were one of the reasons I wanted to hike it in spring.


False Hellebore (veratrum viride) along the trailside.


Another vernal pool.


And another. This is where I  turned around.

As always, the photos are copyrighted. Enjoy them here but feel free to share the link to this page with anyone you wish.
*Unsolicited endorsement

No comments:

Post a Comment