Sunday, May 19, 2024

Eclipse in Infrared - The prelude

 Recently, as in last December, I had an old Canon G-11 converted to Infrared. LifePixel was running a holiday sale that was too good to pass up and I had the G-11 just lying around unused so...  I had paid over $100 to have it repaired and CLAed the year before but ended up not needing it for what I used it for back in the day, Do a search of the blog for G-11 and the G-10 it replaced. It is a good camera albeit out of date. But I'm rambling again. 

The day of the eclipse I wondered what it would look like photographed in IR. I took it out ahead of the time the totality was supposed to happen and took one shot of the sun which showed two bright disks, not one. I assumed (never assume) that the second bright spot was an internal reflection in the lens and decided not to use it. Instead, I used my OMD E-M 5iii with a 150-300mm lens and got pretty much the same shots a bazillion other people got.

Only when  I took the IR camera to a couple of local trails and shot a batch of IR photos then imported them to Lightroom did I realize that the second bright disk, which had been invisible to my eye, was actually the Moon approaching the Sun. DUH! Now I wish I had a time machine to go back and redo the shoot with both cameras. I can only wonder what the totality would have looked like in IR.


Above is my one lonely IR eclipse photo through thin clouds. A photographer friend told me that there will be another total eclipse over Spain in 2026. Maybe I'll have to schedule a trip to Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment