Saturday, April 20, 2013

Simplicity - The K.I.S.S. principle

Often when some thing catches our eye we make photographs that incorporate the element that attracted us but a whole lot more as well. Sometimes that happens because of the limitations of our equipment, we don't have a long enough lens to isolate the particular element we were attracted to and we can't reasonably get closer because that would change the perspective. Other times it is because we fail to clarify in our minds before making the photo exactly what we want to record. The photographs I like most, not just my own but others too, reduce the subject matter to its simple essence.

Yesterday I was in the Adirondacks to pick up some work from a show that just closed in Saranac Lake and I took a side trip to the Cascade Lakes where I made a number of photographs. Most were typical landscape views but this is one of the last things I spotted as I walked back to the car, a line of accumulated leaves along the edge of ice that was receding from the shore, both an interesting visual pattern and a simple symbol of the changing seasons. Despite having taken only one lens I was able to find a view through the foreground trees and isolate just the water, ice and leaves.

Canon 7D, 18-135mm EFs lens. The photo is copyrighted. Please play nice and respect my rights. If you want others to see it, refer them to the URL for this page.

1 comment:

  1. Striking photo! And I agree about the KISS principle. I try to style my whole life around it, sometimes very unsuccessfully! ;-)

    ReplyDelete