Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lean-to Trip


I adopt a lean-to in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks and yesterday I went in to do one of my maintenance trips. Basically I just inspect the lean-to for damage, make minor repairs, refer the larger repairs to D.E.C. for the rangers or trail crews to do and clean up the camping area. Picking up the trash is much less of a problem since they banned campfires but there are still a fair number of campers who insist on 'doing their business' in the woods rather than the privy, then leaving the TP lying about. I carry disposable rubber gloves for the clean-up part of the job. The largest piece of trash was a wine bottle by one corner of the lean-to. It had about 1.5" of yellowish liquid which may have been wine or something else. Some people do strange things in the woods. It was firmly corked and I carried it out without investigating to determine what it was.

The register was missing so I'll have to make another trip to replace it. It was in a zip-lock bag with pencils and one pen. The whole thing was gone, bag and all. Someone must have decided to take it as a souvenir of their Adirondack camping trip. When they are full I return them to ADK where they are kept in a archive but I had one stolen once before when I was tending a different lean-to

It was a beautiful day to be hiking. Mostly sunny with temperatures in the high 60s/low 70s. After the clean-up I wandered up to Scott Clearing and took some photos that I haven't downloaded to the computer yet. My hard drive is too full. I need to do a major back-up and cleaning of the HD before I can do any more work on my photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment