Friday, October 09, 2009

Heaven... I'm in Heaven

I spent a good part of yesterday roaming some side roads around Jay, NY. I think I found heaven or at least one of its suburbs. The area has a very nice mix of open areas, farms and other human presence but is surrounded by very picturesque mountains. A river runs through town with a reproduction of the original wooden covered bridge. There is a low waterfall by the bridge. It lacks a small lake but aside from that not much unless you are one of those who can't live without a shopping center.

In the midst of taking photos one of the screws in my tripod head loosened and looseness is not a quality that is good in tripods. I went in search of some Allen wrenches only to be told there is no hardware store. All was well though. A kind gentleman at the local garage tightened it for me. In future there will be an appropriately sized wrench in my camera bag.

The photo was found on a back road but the light was poor when I first saw the scene. I set up and while waiting for the light a dog at a neighboring house began to bark then come toward me. I should note that dogs don't scare me anyway and this one, although he was growling softly (Grrr, grrr, grrr) as he approached, did not have the demeanor of a dangerous dog. I talked to him and let him sniff me before trying to pet him. Long before the light cooperated he and I were buddies.


I'll be the first to concede that the photo does not do justice to the experience of being there. Missing is the quiet, the smell of the air, a soft autumn breeze, a conversation with a couple who were out looking at real estate for their retirement and a friendly dog rolling in the grass by my tripod, all part of the experience but not recordable in a photograph. You'll have to settle for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment