Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Owls Head Peak Again


As I threatened I might in my last post, this morning I got up at 3 am and drove down to the mountains in time to catch the sunrise on Owls Head Peak. I climbed by headlamp and made it with only a few minutes to spare. The photo above was made from an open area on the way up. I didn't want to miss that lovely color over Giant of the Valley. When I reached the summit I went to the Northern end and made several overlapped images that I stitched into this panorama which would be roughly 10X36 if printed at around 300 pixels per inch.


I had the pleasure of having the mountain to myself for over 2 hours before people started showing up. In order to have a solitary experience on a mountain in the High Peaks area these days (even ones that are not High Peaks) you have to either climb or descend in the dark. When I arrived at the parking area, mine was the only car. By the time I returned to my car it was one of seven, plus a motor home and an extended van that had disgorged a group of about 16.

I photographed my way back down. I managed to rephotograph some subjects that I hadn't been able to get good photos of previously due to poor light. (Too bright, contrasty, etc.). My preferred light is bright overcast but nature rarely cooperates.


The actual sunrise (above). The ones at the top were made while the sun was still below the horizon.


A mountain ash and pine on the East side of the summit (above) and five photos of Ents below.






Another view toward Giant after the sun had risen. The cliff on the left is a popular rock climbing site followed by a detail of the cliff.



This view of Cascade Mt. is from the area below the climbing cliff.


More Ents, or at least parts of Ents who have 'passed on' in the case of the upper photo.



That will most likely be my last trip to Owls Head for the foreseeable future. I have quite a large collection of photos from there. I should put them in a book. I hope D.E.C. gets on the new trail project soon. I am going to miss Owls Head. Be sure and click on the images for larger views,  especially the panorama. Share by pointing your friends to this page. Do not repost elsewhere without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment